Phlebotomist - GOB
|April 10, 2014 - June 18, 2014|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Description:||All duties related to phlebotomy and specimen collection in accordance with laboratory protocol.|
|Duties:||1. Enter patient information into the laboratory information system (LIS), enter tests ordered by the physician into the LIS accurately and efficiently. When entering patient information and ordering tests, the phlebotomist is required to verify patient information and insurance information match EMR chart and/or encounter form.|
2. Perform venipuncture and arterial punctures.
3. Distribute 24 hour urine collection kits and stool collection kits with proper instructions and answer questions concerning this collection from patients.
4. Follow workflow as follows:
a. Patient presents to lab with encounter ticket.
b. Phlebotomist locates diagnostic order in EMR
chart and opens.
c. Phlebotomist enters LIS and orders lab tests
on diagnostic order. When ordering
tests patient and insurance information must
d. Barcodes will print for each test ordered.
Phlebotomist will then call patient back to
drawing station by the encounter ticket.
e. Phlebotomist should verify patient by having
patient state their name and date of birth.
f. Venipuncture is then performed and patient
will collect urine or other specimen if
necessary. Phlebotomist should verify patient
a second time by having patient state their
name and date of birth.
g. Phlebotomist signs all blood collection tubes
with their initials and sends specimens to
laboratory through pneumatic tube system.
5. Send or transport collected specimens to the laboratory within 30 minutes of collection. If transport is delayed, phlebotomist must insure specimen has been sent for proper storage until transport is available.
6. Insure all stats are received in the main laboratory within 15 minutes of collection.
7. Check on colleagues working at other drawing stations when all patients are drawn at current station.
8. Stock phlebotomy stations as needed. Perform an inventory at least once a week and notify person in charge of ordering supplies when items need to be ordered.
9. Keep work area neat, clean, and disinfected at all times. Biohazard trash needs to be kept at an acceptable level.
10. Establishes and maintains effective relationships with patients and co-workers.
11. Adheres to department and office policies.
12. Attends compliance and safety classes as offered by Physicians East.
13. Maintains yearly CPR certification.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
|Qualifications:||High School Diploma or equivalent with two years’ experience performing phlebotomy or completion of a certified phlebotomy program.|
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.